Quantcast

Updated TIP457 (1.18)

Mathieu Lafon
Hello,

Following the latest discussions and with the help of the proposal of
Kevin, I have updated TIP457:

  http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/457.html

Brief list of changes:
- Remove order requirements in argument specification (modification of
'-name', removal of '-value' and addition of '-switch')
- Allow an argument to not be required and left unset
- [info argspec] can return the complete argument specification (i.e.
all arguments)
- Add a section about performance, with results between default,
Tcl-pure and tip-457.
- Add a reference on Cyan Ogilvie's paper

The implementation (tip-457 branch) has not yet been updated but I
will work on it in the following days.

Feedback welcomed

-- Mathieu

Re: Updated TIP457 (1.18)

Alexandre Ferrieux
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Mathieu Lafon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following the latest discussions and with the help of the proposal of
> Kevin, I have updated TIP457:
>
> Feedback welcomed

The documentation part (manpages) of the branch is an important
(future) part of the proposal.
I'm specially interested in the way the feature is presented to
beginners, so that the proc manpage stays as crystal clear and concise
as it is today.
It would be unfortunate if a casual reader decided to shun the
language because one pillar of the syntax seems overly complex.

-Alex

Re: Updated TIP457 (1.18)

Mark Janssen-6
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Alexandre Ferrieux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Mathieu Lafon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Following the latest discussions and with the help of the proposal of
>> Kevin, I have updated TIP457:
>>
>> Feedback welcomed
>
> The documentation part (manpages) of the branch is an important
> (future) part of the proposal.
> I'm specially interested in the way the feature is presented to
> beginners, so that the proc manpage stays as crystal clear and concise
> as it is today.
> It would be unfortunate if a casual reader decided to shun the
> language because one pillar of the syntax seems overly complex.
>
> -Alex

My 2Cs: Wouldn't this be much easier to achieve if the new `proc on
steroids` would be provided by a different command instead of changing
the current proc behavior?

Re: Updated TIP457 (1.18)

Alexandre Ferrieux
On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Mark Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Alexandre Ferrieux
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It would be unfortunate if a casual reader decided to shun the
>> language because one pillar of the syntax seems overly complex.
>
> My 2Cs: Wouldn't this be much easier to achieve if the new `proc on
> steroids` would be provided by a different command instead of changing
> the current proc behavior?

It certainly would soothe that concern, but I guess the generalization
to apply and oo methods is desirable (to those who desire that sugar
in the first place). That's why I aimed for a middle ground ;)

-Alex