Seeking Iwidgets users

Donald G Porter-2

Is there anyone still making use of any package calling itself "Iwidgets" ?

If so, and if that package purports to build on top of some release(s)
of packages named Itcl and Itk, then I need to hear from you.

In particular, I need to know what release(s) of all of these packages
from what source(s) are working for you, and how I can test that for
myself and how I might continue testing new releases of Itcl and Itk
so that something named Iwidgets (there appear to be multliple codebases
making this claim!) can continue to funciton, if anyone cares.

If I cannot get some solid leads on what codebase should be tested and
what possible schemes exist for that testing, I cannot possibly keep
Itcl work properly supporting you.

If no one cares, that would be welcome news, and we could move on to
the next question of whether anyone cares about Itk.

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Donald G Porter-2
On 05/16/2017 12:10 PM, Donald G Porter wrote:
> Is there anyone still making use of any package calling itself "Iwidgets" ?

And please, do not reply with guesses.

I do not want to hear guesses.

I want to hear from actual users of the code.

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |
| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Griffin, Brian
Our current trunk uses Tcl/Tk 8.6.5 + Itcl/Itk 3.4 + Iwidgets 4.1
(I gave up trying to get Itk 4 to work in our product; still too imature.)

We employ very very few of the iwidget classes.  If you wish to know
exactly which, let me know and I'll figure it out.

I've made these changes to Iwidgets:
$ p4 describe -dc 2968816
Change 2968816 by bgriffin@bgriffin-devm3 on 2016/04/14 14:37:25

        ModelSim improvements & fixes.

Affected files ...

... //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/datefield.itk#2 edit
//dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/disjointlistbox.itk#2
edit
... //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/entryfield.itk#2
edit
... //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/pkgIndex.tcl#2 edit
//dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/scrolledlistbox.itk#2
edit
... //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/scrolledtext.itk#2
edit
... //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/timefield.itk#2 edit

Differences ...

==== //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/datefield.itk#2
(text) ====

***************
*** 103,108 ****
--- 103,109 ----
      rename -font -textfont textFont Font
      rename -highlightbackground -background background Background
      rename -background -textbackground textBackground Background
+     rename -foreground -textforeground textForeground Foreground
      }

      #

====
//dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/disjointlistbox.itk#2
(text) ====

***************
*** 181,188 ****
          rename -font -labelfont labelFont Font
      }

!     set sourceListbox $itk_component(lhs)
!     set destinationListbox $itk_component(rhs)

      #
      # Bind the "showCount" method to the Map event of one of the labels
--- 181,188 ----
          rename -font -labelfont labelFont Font
      }

!     set sourceListbox lhs ;#$itk_component(lhs)
!     set destinationListbox rhs ;#$itk_component(rhs)

      #
      # Bind the "showCount" method to the Map event of one of the labels
***************
*** 395,401 ****
  # Purpose: Evaluates the specified arguments against the lhs Listbox
  #
  itcl::body ::iwidgets::Disjointlistbox::lhs {args} {
!     return [eval $itk_component(lhs) $args]
  }

  # ------------------------------------------------------------------
--- 395,410 ----
  # Purpose: Evaluates the specified arguments against the lhs Listbox
  #
  itcl::body ::iwidgets::Disjointlistbox::lhs {args} {
!    set ret [eval $itk_component(lhs) $args]
!    if { ([llength $args] > 0) && ([lindex $args 0] == "selection") } {
!       #
!       # Make the following call so programmatic selection in the
!       # listbox behaves the same as using the command
!       # interface(ie $djlbox lhs selection ...)
!       #
!       listboxClick lhs rhs
!    }
!    return $ret
  }

  # ------------------------------------------------------------------
***************
*** 404,410 ****
  # Purpose: Evaluates the specified arguments against the rhs Listbox
  #
  itcl::body ::iwidgets::Disjointlistbox::rhs {args} {
!     return [eval $itk_component(rhs) $args]
  }

  # ------------------------------------------------------------------
--- 413,428 ----
  # Purpose: Evaluates the specified arguments against the rhs Listbox
  #
  itcl::body ::iwidgets::Disjointlistbox::rhs {args} {
!    set ret [eval $itk_component(rhs) $args]
!    if { ([llength $args] > 0) && ([lindex $args 0] == "selection") } {
!       #
!       # Make the following call so programmatic selection in the
!       # listbox behaves the same as using the command
!       # interface(ie $djlbox rhs selection ...)
!       #
!       listboxClick rhs lhs
!    }
!    return $ret
  }

  # ------------------------------------------------------------------

*** 114,119 ****
--- 114,120 ----
        rename -font -textfont textFont Font
        rename -highlightbackground -background background Background
        rename -background -textbackground textBackground Background
+       rename -foreground -textforeground textForeground Foreground
      }

      #

==== //dvt/mti/prod/src/tcltk/8.6.x/iwidgets4.1/library/pkgIndex.tcl#2
(text) ====

***************
*** 5,11 ****
      variable version 4.1
  }
  package ifneeded iwidgets $::iwidgets::version "
!   package req itk 4
    source [file join $dir colors.itcl]
    source [file join $dir roman.itcl]
    source [file join $dir buttonbox.itk]
--- 5,11 ----
      variable version 4.1
  }

*** 158,163 ****
--- 158,164 ----

      rename -font -textfont textFont Font
      rename -background -textbackground textBackground Background
+     rename -foreground -textforeground textForeground Foreground
      rename -highlightbackground -background background Background
      }
      grid $itk_component(listbox) -row 0 -column 0 -sticky nsew

*** 144,149 ****
--- 144,150 ----

        rename -font -textfont textFont Font
        rename -background -textbackground textBackground Background
+       rename -foreground -textforeground textForeground Foreground
      }
      grid $itk_component(text) -row 0 -column 0 -sticky nsew
      grid rowconfigure $itk_component(clipper) 0 -weight 1

*** 119,124 ****
--- 119,125 ----

On 5/16/17, 9:10 AM, "Donald G Porter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there anyone still making use of any package calling itself "Iwidgets"
>?
>
>If so, and if that package purports to build on top of some release(s)
>of packages named Itcl and Itk, then I need to hear from you.
>
>In particular, I need to know what release(s) of all of these packages
>from what source(s) are working for you, and how I can test that for
>myself and how I might continue testing new releases of Itcl and Itk
>so that something named Iwidgets (there appear to be multliple codebases
>making this claim!) can continue to funciton, if anyone cares.
>
>If I cannot get some solid leads on what codebase should be tested and
>what possible schemes exist for that testing, I cannot possibly keep
>Itcl work properly supporting you.
>
>If no one cares, that would be welcome news, and we could move on to
>the next question of whether anyone cares about Itk.
>
>--
>| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
>| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |
>| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
>|______________________________________________________________________|

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Donald G Porter-2
On 05/16/2017 12:24 PM, Griffin, Brian wrote:
> Our current trunk uses Tcl/Tk 8.6.5 + Itcl/Itk 3.4 + Iwidgets 4.1

Thank you for the reply.

Where can I find sources for the particular code you
call "Iwidgets 4.1" ?

Does it contain any test suite or similar?

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |
| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Griffin, Brian
This is from the README file, I suspect it is the source of the bits I got:

iwidgets 4.1 -- iwidgets for itk4
=================================

Slightly modified iwidgets implementation for itk4.
For changes see the iwidgets.patch file.

Sources
-------

The itk repository is hosted at:
  http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/itk/
A slightly modified iwidgets (see iwidgets.patch) is hosted at:
  http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/iwidgets/

Ready to run binaries (*-itk) can be found at:
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/itk/

To load itk call:
  package require itk 4.0
and to load itk and iwidgets call:
  package require iwidgets 4.1

-Brian

On 5/16/17, 9:27 AM, "Donald G Porter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 05/16/2017 12:24 PM, Griffin, Brian wrote:
>> Our current trunk uses Tcl/Tk 8.6.5 + Itcl/Itk 3.4 + Iwidgets 4.1
>
>Thank you for the reply.
>
>Where can I find sources for the particular code you
>call "Iwidgets 4.1" ?
>
>Does it contain any test suite or similar?
>
>--
>| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
>| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |
>| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
>|______________________________________________________________________|

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Donald G Porter-2
On 05/16/2017 12:34 PM, Griffin, Brian wrote:
> This is from the README file, I suspect it is the source of the bits I got:...

So that looks like the one identified by core.tcl.tk

     http://core.tcl.tk/iwidgets/

You mentioned though that you use Itk 3.4 ?  Which I assume
is from the itk-3-branch here?

     http://core.tcl.tk/itk

This is different from the apparently Tcl-source-only
rewrite of Itk that your Iwidgets recommends?

> The itk repository is hosted at:
>   http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/itk/

Let me see if I can make that combo work together.

That iwidgets distribution has no test suite.  How do you check if
it works?

On 5/16/17, 9:54 AM, "Donald G Porter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 05/16/2017 12:34 PM, Griffin, Brian wrote:
>> This is from the README file, I suspect it is the source of the bits I
>>got:...
>
>So that looks like the one identified by core.tcl.tk
>
>     http://core.tcl.tk/iwidgets/

bsg: It's an "official" release tarball, 3.4.3 I believe. From either
core.tcl.tk or sourceforge, I don't recall exactly.

>You mentioned though that you use Itk 3.4 ?  Which I assume
>is from the itk-3-branch here?
>
>     http://core.tcl.tk/itk
>
>This is different from the apparently Tcl-source-only
>rewrite of Itk that your Iwidgets recommends?

bsg: Yes, see my changes where I modified "package require itk" to
"package require Itk".

>> The itk repository is hosted at:
>>   http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/itk/
>
>Let me see if I can make that combo work together.
>
>That iwidgets distribution has no test suite.  How do you check if
>it works?

bsg: The only test is our application regressions.  That would only
exercise the the widgets we use, so it would not be an endorsement of the
entire library.

-Brian

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Yusuke Yamasaki
I use Tcl/Tk 8.5.18 + Itcl/Itk 3.4 + Iwidgets 4.0.2.

Pkg/Reference          {Itcl 3.4}
Pkg/Reference          {Itk 3.4}
Pkg/Reference          {Iwidgets 4.0.2}

The following classes are all what my products depend on.

iwidgets::combobox
iwidgets::dateentry
iwidgets::promptdialog
iwidgets::scrolledframe
iwidgets::selectiondialog
iwidgets::tabnotebook
iwidgets::timefield

I am half way moving onto Tcl/Tk 8.6.5 (latest from ActiveTcl for Windows 32-bit.)
It is working with the following packages.

Pkg/Reference          {Itcl 4.0}
Pkg/Reference          {Itk 4.0}
Pkg/Reference          {Iwidgets 4.1}

---
Yusuke Yamasaki <[hidden email]>

[...]

Rene1
<quote author="Griffin, Brian">
This is from the README file, I suspect it is the source of the bits I got:

iwidgets 4.1 -- iwidgets for itk4
=================================

Slightly modified iwidgets implementation for itk4.
For changes see the iwidgets.patch file.

Sources
-------

The itk repository is hosted at:
  http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/itk/
A slightly modified iwidgets (see iwidgets.patch) is hosted at:
  http://chiselapp.com/user/rene/repository/iwidgets/

Ready to run binaries (*-itk) can be found at:
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/itk/

To load itk call:
  package require itk 4.0
and to load itk and iwidgets call:
  package require iwidgets 4.1

FWIW these sources are a tcl only itk implementation.
I had written it when no itk4 existed.
I made some minor modifications in iwidgets to get it running.

HTH
Rene

Re: Seeking Iwidgets users

Trey Jackson
All,

(joining the thread late, just subscribed to mail list).

We are actively using Iwidgets at Mentor Graphics.
Currently using

Tcl/Tk 8.4
Itcl/Itk 3.2
Iwidgets 4.0.1

In the process of painfully moving to Tcl 8.6.6
Using ActiveState release/sources
Itcl 4.0.5
Itk 4.0.2
iwidgets 4.1

I don't know why 'Iwidgets' changed to 'iwidgets' - perhaps that's the issue you're talking about.  The port hasn't gotten far enough to actually find out whether or not the iwidgets 4.1 works for us.

Note: I've asked for ActiveState to give us a new version of Itcl (4.0.6) to include the fix for the bug I reported (that has been fixed already).

--
Trey Jackson
[hidden email]

"Like any truly useful program, `hello' contains a built-in mail reader."
-- GNU's Bulletin, July 1996