Question on copyright notices in the header of source files

Question on copyright notices in the header of source files

Simon Bachmann
Hi

Short newbie question :-)

Am I supposed to update the copyright notice in the header of a source
file that I modify? If yes, how?

Here's a real world example, where I'd be unsure what to add:

  *
  * Copyright (c) 1990-1994 The Regents of the University of California.
  * Copyright (c) 1994-1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
  *

I guess someting along the lines of "Copyright (c) ????-2017 ActiveState
Corporation".

Simon

Re: Question on copyright notices in the header of source files

Francois Vogel
Simon Bachmann a écrit le 20/04/2017 à 22:02 :
> Am I supposed to update the copyright notice in the header of a source
> file that I modify? If yes, how?

I never add my name here.If someone wants to know where I fucked
things up, they have the fossil blame/annotate to show this much
better. And I don't plan to claim any copyright on anything I did.

> Here's a real world example, where I'd be unsure what to add:
>
>    *
>    * Copyright (c) 1990-1994 The Regents of the University of California.
>    * Copyright (c) 1994-1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>    *
>
> I guess someting along the lines of "Copyright (c) ????-2017 ActiveState
> Corporation".

Why would you give copyright on your changes to Activestate?

But IANAL, YMMV, and all the other usual disclaimers.

F.

Re: Question on copyright notices in the header of source files

Kevin Kenny-6
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Francois Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon Bachmann a écrit le 20/04/2017 à 22:02 :
> Am I supposed to update the copyright notice in the header of a source
> file that I modify? If yes, how?

I never add my name here.If someone wants to know where I fucked
things up, they have the fossil blame/annotate to show this much
better. And I don't plan to claim any copyright on anything I did.

I include myself: copyright © (year) by Kevin B. Kenny and let
license.terms apply.

I don't intend ever to enforce copyright, but there are jurisdictions
that do not recognize a dedication to the public domain, or reserve
some rights to the author even after such a dedication (les droits
moraux, aux pays qui suivent le Code Civil).

Ordinarily, I want the copyright notice there to make it
clear (through license.terms) that I explicitly do not represent the
software as merchantable nor fit for any given purpose. For
that, I'd be just as happy with the Rhyming Public License:

    Anything free
    Comes with no guarantee
    Do as you please
    But please don't sue me!

Re: Question on copyright notices in the header of source files

Donal K. Fellows-2
On 20/04/2017 21:02, Simon Bachmann wrote:
> Am I supposed to update the copyright notice in the header of a source
> file that I modify? If yes, how?

If you make a substantial contribution to the file, please add your name
or the name of your employer (depending on your employment situation) to
the file, perhaps like this (correct for me):

     Copyright (c) 2017 Donal Fellows

or

     Copyright (c) 2017 The University of Manchester

(The preceding * is part of a C comment, nothing more.) What is a
"substantial contribution"? It's a great question, but I reckon if
you're adding a new feature then that's a substantial contribution,
whereas if you're fixing a typo or other simple bug then it isn't. And
there's absolutely a grey area between the two. Talk to your legal
advisor if you really worry about it a lot.

OTOH, the main reason for adding to the copyrights is so that you get
attribution. That's the rule of Tcl's license. :-)

Donal (The “(c)” can also be “©” in files that use UTF-8 encoding).

donal_k_fellows.vcf (241 bytes) Download Attachment

Am 21.04.2017 um 02:58 schrieb Kevin Kenny:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Francois Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon Bachmann a écrit le 20/04/2017 à 22:02 :
> Am I supposed to update the copyright notice in the header of a source
> file that I modify? If yes, how?

I never add my name here.If someone wants to know where I fucked
things up, they have the fossil blame/annotate to show this much
better. And I don't plan to claim any copyright on anything I did.

I include myself: copyright © (year) by Kevin B. Kenny and let
license.terms apply.

I don't intend ever to enforce copyright, but there are jurisdictions
that do not recognize a dedication to the public domain, or reserve
some rights to the author even after such a dedication (les droits
moraux, aux pays qui suivent le Code Civil).
I do not intend to enforce copyright either. Nor do I care much about attibution.
My main concern is to do things correctly from the legal point of view.

Thanks to all for the clarifications.

Simon