CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jan Nijtmans-2
I am planning to call a vote soon on
    TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

This TIP's is inspired on the FlightAware Tcl-bountie program,
therefore I would like to especially invite Karl Lehenbauer to
place comments: Does this TIP's comply with FlightAware's expectations?
If not, now is the time to comment, and making the final changes to
either the TIP either the implementation.

Implementation can be found in the "tip-458" branch:
    <http://core.tcl.tk/tcl/timeline?r=tip-458>

Please review and discuss.

Regards,
     Jan Nijtmans

Re: CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Harald Oehlmann
Am 24.04.2017 um 15:47 schrieb Jan Nijtmans:
> I am planning to call a vote soon on
>     TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Thank you Jan and Lucio for the great work !
This will for sure be a big step forward.

When I look to the TIP, I see no interaction with the script or the API
level.
Do you want to vote a TIP only because it is a massive change or is
there a particular reason?
You must choose the used notifier when compiling?

Thank you,
Harald

Re: CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester

I'm with Harald - Thanks also! It looks nice.

Additionally still one question about the choice of the used notifier:

What's about possibility of something like fallback to the old notifier for some *nix-like systems, having neither epoll (nor kqueue)? (for example some embedded systems or some having older kernel as 2.5.40)...

It was totality replaced now? Or I miss something (I've just not found it in "unix/configure" in diff, but seen there several removals of old notifier functionality).

Regards,
sebres.

Am 24.04.2017 15:57, schrieb Harald Oehlmann:

Am 24.04.2017 um 15:47 schrieb Jan Nijtmans:
I am planning to call a vote soon on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier
Thank you Jan and Lucio for the great work !
This will for sure be a big step forward.

When I look to the TIP, I see no interaction with the script or the API
level.
Do you want to vote a TIP only because it is a massive change or is
there a particular reason?
You must choose the used notifier when compiling?

Thank you,
Harald

Re: CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jan Nijtmans-2
> What's about possibility of something like fallback to the old notifier for
> some *nix-like systems, having neither epoll (nor kqueue)? (for example some
> embedded systems or some having older kernel as 2.5.40)...

For systems without epoll/kqueue, the old notifier is still there.

Harald wrote:
> When I look to the TIP, I see no interaction with the script or the API
> level.
> Do you want to vote a TIP only because it is a massive change or is
> there a particular reason?
> You must choose the used notifier when compiling?

It's a massive change, and could result in timing differences. Like TIP
#458 (Threading Support: Configuration and Package) which
proposed to change the default compilation of Tcl: This shouldn't
influence applications/packages, but in reality it did!

In my view, the improvement is more valuable than the possible
(inevitable) timing problems. But I want others to share their
view on this, that's the value of bringing this TIP to an actual vote.

Thanks!
     Jan Nijtmans

Re: CFV WARNING: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jan Nijtmans-2

> It's a massive change, and could result in timing differences. Like TIP
> #458 (Threading Support: Configuration and Package) which

Sorry, I meant 364! <http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/364.html>

Regards,
      Jan Nijtmans