CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jan Nijtmans-2
This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
kqueue() in the Notifier

Note: this TIP targets 8.7

Even though this TIP doesn't change anything on the script or API level,
which means that no voting should be necessary, past experience
shows that it is good to vote on it anyway. The same reason that
TIP #364 (Threading Support: Configuration and Package) was
voted on in the past. Threading is tricky, removal of the Notifier
thread on some platforms could - in theory - have subtle
consequences on timing in Tcl applications.

A YES vote means (in my view) that the added value of upscaling to
handle much more sockets than before (on selected platforms) is
more important than those possibly adverse timing effects.

Implementation is here:
    <http://core.tcl.tk/tcl/timeline?r=tip-458>

See also the related Flightaware Tcl bounty:
    <https://github.com/flightaware/Tcl-bounties/issues/14>

Let the voting period be two weeks, with closure at noon (GMT) Thursday,
May 18 12:00:00 GMT 2017, [clock format 1495108800]

My vote is:

      TIP #458: YES

Regards,
    Jan Nijtmans

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jeff Hobbs
On May 4, 2017, at 11:17 AM, Jan Nijtmans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
> kqueue() in the Notifier
>
> Note: this TIP targets 8.7
> …
> Implementation is here:
>    <http://core.tcl.tk/tcl/timeline?r=tip-458>
>
> See also the related Flightaware Tcl bounty:
>    <https://github.com/flightaware/Tcl-bounties/issues/14>
>
> Let the voting period be two weeks, with closure at noon (GMT) Thursday,
> May 18 12:00:00 GMT 2017, [clock format 1495108800]
>
> My vote is:
>
>      TIP #458: YES

TIP #458: Yes

Jeff

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester

TIP #458: YES

// No matter which target-release for this will be selected.

Although I have already voiced, just to be sure it is arrived.

Regards,
sebres.

Am 04.05.2017 11:17, schrieb Jan Nijtmans:

[...]

Alexandre Ferrieux
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Jan Nijtmans <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
> kqueue() in the Notifier

TIP #458: YES

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Donald G Porter-2
On 05/04/2017 05:17 AM, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
> kqueue() in the Notifier

TIP #458: YES

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| [hidden email]             Information Technology Laboratory |

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Steve Landers

On 4 May 2017, 5:18 PM +0800, Jan Nijtmans <[hidden email]>, wrote:
This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
kqueue() in the Notifier

TIP #458: YES

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Joe English-2

Jan Nijtmans wrote:

> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
> kqueue() in the Notifier
>
> Note: this TIP targets 8.7

TIP#458: YES

--Joe English

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Donal K. Fellows-2
On 04/05/2017 10:17, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and
> kqueue() in the Notifier

TIP #458: YES

It would be nice if this also clears the way to handling signals better,
but that's entirely out of scope. I'm very happy that this has been
worked on, as I've had a look a couple of times and gotten into a mess
(the old notifier was more than a bit non-obvious in some aspects).

Donal.

donal_k_fellows.vcf (241 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: CFV: TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and kqueue() in the Notifier

Jan Nijtmans-2
> This is a Call For Votes on TIP #458: Add Support for epoll() and

Result for TIP #458:

YES: 8 (English, Fellows, Ferrieux, Hobbs, Kenny, Landers, Nijtmans, Porter)
NO: 0
PRESENT: 0

This TIP is accepted. Implementation is merged now to trunk (8.7).

Many thanks to all who took the time to review and vote!

Regards,
    Jan Nijtmans