Book announcement: The Tcl Programming Language

Book announcement: The Tcl Programming Language

tcl-core mailing list
Announcing the release of my book - The Tcl Programming Language, available
in
both ebook (PDF) and print form. See http://wiki.tcl.tk/48868 for purchase
details
from Amazon and Gumroad.

From the back cover:

--

The Tcl Programming Language is a comprehensive guide to the current version
(8.6)

* Begin with the basics of Tcl syntax and commands for operating on data.

* Get acquainted with the flexible and uniform execution model that
enables metaprogramming, custom control structures etc.

* Learn to modularize your code with namespaces, object-oriented
design and packages.

* See how intrinsic support for Unicode and encodings makes it a
breeze to localize your applications.

* Become conversant with the integrated event loop and how it
facilitates efficient asynchronous I/O models and the reactive style
of programming.

* Delve into Tcl's sophisticated I/O framework and write your own
reflected channels, transforms and virtual file systems.

* Understand the built-in facilities for inter-process communication
using pipes or the network.

* See how concurrent programming facilities like coroutines and
threads can simplify your code and make it more performant.

* Learn how to secure your application through the use of safe
interpreters for sandboxing.

* Interact with databases through the Tcl Database Connectivity
interface.

* Discover how software distribution and installation headaches are
eliminated with starkits and single file deployment.

The breadth of coverage and numerous examples will familiarize
newcomers to every aspect of Tcl programming. At the same time, the
depth and level of detail, and an exhaustive index, make The Tcl
Programming Language a valuable reference on every Tcl programmer's
bookshelf.

--

/Ashok